Are there certain movies you watch whenever they’re on, no matter how many times you’ve seen them? You may not even necessarily sit and watch them, but you’d rather have the familiar on as background noise than sit and watch something new? These are some of mine.
1. Anything Marvel. I love all these movies, without fail. And the fact that the superheroes are hot doesn’t hurt. Background noise my ass; when Thor has his shirt off, I’m in front of the tv. Hell, even though I’m straight, I wouldn’t kick Black Widow out of bed for eating crackers, either.
2. Ghostbusters. I can recite it. I could probably act it out a la Rocky Horror. “Ray, when someone asks if you’re a god, YOU SAY YES!” All the talk of remaking this film makes me throw up in my mouth. Leave perfection alone.
3. Silent Hill. Something about the story of Centralia intrigues me (it was a mining town in Pennsylvania; a seam of coal started burning and has continued to do so since 1962. The town is now abandoned, as in the zip code was even revoked by the Postal Service, although there is still a church and cemeteries that are kept up). The movie itself doesn’t have much to do with the town, and in fact, isn’t even very good, but it does have Sean Bean. And he lives.
4. The Exorcist. I can only imagine how this must have gone over in theaters when it first came out. I love it. The Pazuzu face that pops up twice is creepy as hell, and its pretty much plain old whiteface. Sad how badly all the sequels sucked. And sad how this movie disturbs me yet I sit glued to it, alone, at 2 am, hoping the four-legged hairy child made that noise in the kitchen.
5. The Wizard of Oz. Well, duh. Although I don’t bother to throw Dark Side of the Moon on anymore.
6. Clue. It’s the cast, I guess. Tim Curry, Martin Mull, Madeline Kahn…how can you go wrong? Truth is, I expected a lot more out of this movie. It needed to go a lot further in terms of camp; instead, it played it sort of safe. But there are a lot of genuinely funny lines (some of them you have to really listen for, because the delivery is so fast) and some great physical comedy (the 4-person collision on the landing).